You can find Shakespeares plays out on the internet for free. They can be in eReader format, audiobooks, modern day language and so much more!
Here are some steps to teach Shakespeare to your high school students:
1. Read one of the plays.
2. Watch the movie
3. Take Study Island quizzes
4. Write compare and contrast essay of movie and play.
Below are movie adaptation suggestions:
1. Romeo and Juliet - Movie: The Westside Story
2. The Taming of the Shrew - Movie: 10 Things I Hate About You
3. Hamlet - Movie: The Lion King
4. Twelfth Night - Movie: She's the Man (2006)
Suggested Teaching Sequence:
9th Grade - Romeo and Juliet
10th Grade - Macbeth
11th Grade - The Taming of the Shrew
12th Grade- Hamlet & Twelfth Night